And lo, the winds came and the sun shone and the swamp began to dry up, and as these things came to pass, so did the long-awaited garden shed begin to rise from the mud. I'm trying to build it with leftover materials around the place, though some 2x4s and other things had to be purchased from the local Southern States folks. The siding is a faux log profile, milled for our 2007 log home's second-story dormers, left over from construction that year. The log house burned but not the extra dormer siding, and there was enough to cover the 12x8-foot shed with a 4-foot porch.
The windows came out of a century-old farmhouse a couple hundred feet to the north. The old house is in the process of returning to the earth, but in it I found two half windows, reglazed the panes and painted them with a coat of primer.
I have also rebuilt two five-panel doors from the house. Thought they were identical when I pulled them out, but later realized they were different sizes. Still, with a little trimming and a lot of green paint, they look more or less the same from 50 feet, if you squint real hard and close one eye.
Then there's the roof. I had planned to use some leftover asphalt shingles on the roof, then thought about using some recycled sheet metal that might come off our house to repair some hail damage from last year. A friend offered a pile of sheet metal from his own roof-replacement project, so there are options galore, just no time to put any of them to work. After all, this project started with the need for a better field fence, and so far all I've gotten done on that job is auguring the holes and planting the posts in more mud slurry than firm dirt.
But at least the windows are in. Next big decision: how to mount the doors. Stay turned.