Thursday, November 24, 2011

On Thanksgiving Day, touch hands

William Henry Harrison "Adirondack" Murray was a 19th century clergyman and outdoorsman who, I have read, virtually invented the American outdoors guidebook.  I don't know if that's so, but I do know the man could write.  He wrote a piece about Christmas Day once that my family, many years ago, adopted for Thanksgiving use, too.  And in an era where stores are opening on Thanksgiving Day and many have to go to work, it's an appropriate time to think about what Murray had to say.  Here's what he wrote, with the word Thanksgiving substituted twice where Christmas appears every other day of the year:


Ah friends, dear friends,
As
years go on and heads get gray,
How fast the guests do go!
Touch hands, touch hands,
With those that stay.
Strong hands to weak,
Old hands to young, around the
Thanksgiving board
touch hands.
The false forget, the foe forgive,
For every guest will go
And every fire burn low
And cabin empty stand.
Forget, forgive,
For who may say that Thanksgiving Day
May ever come to host or guest again.
Touch hands!


~ William Henry Harrison Murray

2 comments:

  1. My mother came across these words several decades ago (the 1970's) when I was a young lad... I remember her sharing them with our holiday gatherings, Christmas & Thanksgiving, as we often hosted several families around many tables at our home. With each passing year of my life (mom departed in 2010) these lines weigh evermore and I choke up ever-sooner sharing them with my guests. I was struggling one holiday trying to find mom's copy in my collections of things when I stumbled upon this site. I was first thankful that I could continue to share the verse...but then additionally enjoyed the thought that many others may have come across these words thanks to you...Jack. Are you still with us...Jack? The archives seem to end in 2019... Perhaps you moved elsewhere...or...elsewhere... Whatever the case I wish to THANK YOU for publishing the words of William Henry Harrison "Adirondack" Murray. May we all meet around the table of the beyond one day. Thank you. ☮️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...I didn't particularly wish to be anonymous but I'll be danged if I can figure out how to do it otherwise...
    🤔

    ReplyDelete